Map of the Tour

Follow Me across the country with this Google Map!


View Kennedy Center Educational Tour in a larger map

Sunday, April 12, 2009

(52) Avon, CO to Northridge, CA

Saturday, March 21st: DAY OFF!! I sat and layed around all morning while I finished my George Stephanopolous book. When I finished, Dave was taking a van to Dillion, Colorado, which is about 45 minutes away but was the closes major bookstore to Avon. To get there, we drove over the Vail Pass which is about 10,600 ft elevation. When we stopped at the Borders Bookstore, we were about up about 9,000 ft elevation. We hung out at the bookstore for a bit and I found the third book in a series that I’ve been looking for. I took some time to read the last chapter of the second book so I could remember what had happened, and then I bought the third book! We went to the grocery store, which was in the same strip mall, for some food before heading back to Avon. That afternoon I did even more work, had dinner, watched some more NCAA Basketball coverage and went to bed.

Sunday, March 22nd: This was our hardest day of driving by far. We drove 507 miles (15,524 total miles) to Tuba City, AZ. I drove first and down to Moab, Utah where it was absolutely beautiful weather. Then Eric took over and drove us down into the desert where the weather turned pretty bad. We drove through a wicked dust storm with high winds and red sand. It lasted for about 4 hours of our drive. We were also driving through the desert. There were only a few small towns and we were on a two lane US route the entire time. We stopped in a place called Kayenta, Arizona for gas and we were on the outskirts of the dust storm. The pumps weren’t working at the first gas station that we stopped at so we went across the street to another gas station. The wind was blowing hard and there was a little sand in the air as well. The pumps were barely putting out any gas and we eventually got back in the truck to wait for the pumps to finish. After about 20 minutes of waiting, we got out and decided that we were done(the tanks were almost full.) We got back on the road and continued to our hotel in Tuda City, AZ. Once at the hotel, we had another problem that had nothing to do with the weather. The state of Arizona doesn’t change time zones, but we were staying in the Navajo Nation, which DOES change time zones. Some people’s phones had changed times and other people’s hadn’t. Our weekly schedules said that we were on Mountain Time(Navajo Time) which was a mistake I made(because we were suppose to be on Pacific Time(Arizona Time). There was a large amount of confusion that was slowly cleared through some very serious conversations. We had a tech meeting and then Carolyn, Eric, Rudy and I watched some “Lost” episodes.

Monday, March 23rd: Tuba City felt very strange and gave me an uneasy feeling. We were so far out into the country that it made me realize how much I enjoyed living in a city. Eric and I left for a 261 miles (15,785 total miles) to Gilbert, Arizona. It was a much nicer drive and the weather was warm and beautiful when we got to our hotel. Finally we were back in warm weather! We had a load in that night and then went back to the hotel.

Tuesday, March 24th: We had two shows in Gilbert; 9:30am(89) and 12:15pm(90). Between the shows we had another venue meeting. After the shows, we hoped in the vehicles and drove 187 miles(15,972 total miles) to Blythe, California which is on the border of California and Arizona. It was even nicer to be back in California! Carolyn, Eric, Margo, Rudy and I watched a couple of episodes of “Lost” and then it was bed time.

Wednesday, March 25th: Eric and I drove the van 255 miles (16,227 total miles) to Northridge, California. It had been a goofy drive and I was pretty annoyed. First we stopped at a weight station and they had us pull to the side to be inspected. When we went into the station house, the guy told us he forgot to turn the arrow off and we were free to go. It was a nice waste of 15 minutes. Then, when we stopped for gas, we stopped at what must be the ONLY truck stop in LA. There were huge lines and it took forever for us to get gas. THEN, I walked over to Jack in the Box for lunch and they got my order wrong! It did not bode well for the load in that night. Luckily, load in went very well and we were out a little early!

No comments: