Map of the Tour

Follow Me across the country with this Google Map!


View Kennedy Center Educational Tour in a larger map

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Almost time for Tech Rehearsal!

Sunday, September 21st: Today was a much less exciting day. Eric and I went to another Nationals Baseball game, where they ended up losing to the Padres. We sat next to a very nice older couple and talked to them a bit. The gentileman was like a baseball almanac. He was spouting off fact after fact about players and franchises and records. I was wearing my San Francisco Giants jersey and green Washington Nationals hat(mostly because I forgot my SF Giants hat at Brekky’s house in Cincinnati: Thanks Brekky for sending it me!) I decided that I wanted to get another Nationals hat, but one with the DC logo instead. They were selling for $30 in the stadium, but when we left the game we stopped at one of the street dealers. She had a different SF Giants hat with a picture of Barry Bonds on it, but I told her I wasn’t interested. I was interested one of her DC hats which she told me was $25. I told her no thanks and she immediately asked how much I wanted for it. I told her $15 and she said sure. I was pretty excited so I bought it and ended up giving my green Washington Nationals hat to my boss.

Monday, September 22nd-Tuesday, September 23rd: These two days all run together. Most of my time was spent in the office calling venues and working on paperwork for load in, tech and load out at our trial venue here in DC. Eric and I took our 26’ box truck to the scene shop to pick up the set. On the way back, we got lost because of some bad directions. We realized we could take the route we wanted to because we were in a truck and didn’t want to make any illegal left turns. Unfortunately, it took us to some places we REALLY shouldn’t have been. Made a right turn onto Constitution where we couldn’t make the left turn we needed to. We figured we go down a few block, make a few legal left turns and get back on Constitution going the right direction. We made one left turn, then a second left turn and immediately realized that we were on Pennsylvania Ave headed right toward the White House. (Don’t forget we’re in a white unmarked 26’ box truck). We started to frantically looking for another left turn, so we didn’t get too close to the White House, but couldn’t find any. All of a sudden we found ourselves at Pennsylvania Ave and 15th Ave, right across the intersection from the Capitol Police barricade to the White House. There was a police car behind the barricade that backed up about a foot and looked like it might come around the barricade. Eric and I were going crazy worrying about what would happen if we were pulled over! Luckily, the light turned green, I slowly made the left turn, and gently drove off back towards the Kennedy Center. It was a little hectic, but very funny since nothing actually happened.

Wednesday, September 24th: Today we packed the truck for the first time and boy is it tight. There is not one square inch that is wasted in the pack of this truck. I took a bunch of pictures, but really there is no other way possible to make everything fit. We were missing a few small pieces and had to guess where those pieces will end up in the real pack of the truck. It took a bit of time, but I’m pretty sure that we’re really close to the perfect pack.

No comments: