Map of the Tour

Follow Me across the country with this Google Map!


View Kennedy Center Educational Tour in a larger map

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Washington, DC... Here I Come!

HELLO ALL!

Here is my last update about my new job at the Kennedy Center's Educational Department's Theatre for Young Audiences Tour. I am the Technical Director for a show called "Phantom Tollbooth" based on the book by Norton Juster. That means I'm responsible for all the scenery, contacting the venue before we arrive, the load-in and load-out of each venue, working backstage during the performances, and finally driving one of the trucks. There are 4 other technicians working on the show: A stage manager, lighting director, props/wardrobe supervisor, and a sound supervisor. There are also 7 performers in the show. We travel with two 26' box trucks(like UHauls) and a 13 passenger van.

I'm moving out of my house in Mountain View at the end of August and staying with my girlfriend Michelle for a bit. I'm flying from San Jose to Washington, DC on September 7th. I start work at the Kennedy Center on September 9th, which is the same day rehearsals start. The first few weeks in DC are devoted to going to rehearsal, seeing the set(which has already been built), picking up supplies and trucks, and generally meeting everyone. Load-in at our trial venue in DC starts around September 23rd and Technical Rehearsals start on the 25th. We have two days of shows for local DC schools on September 30th and October 1st. Finally we hit the road on October 5th and start the tour! We are out on the road from the beginning of October until the weekend before Thanksgiving and then go back out from just after New Years until the end of April.

Attached is a summary of show along with a preliminary tour schedule. I have also started a blog, http://BFrank29.blogspot.com which I will update as often as possible. On the blog web page, you can see the next ten cities where we'll be performing and a google map of where we've been. Once I have some pictures there might also be a slide show to watch. Unfortunately, this is a kids show and unless you're an elementary school teacher you won't be able to come see the show.

Since we're on the road, the best way to keep in touch is by email and cell phone. I'll be spending long hours driving so people will definitely be getting phone calls to keep me company. Snail mail isn't really an option because everything has to be sent to the Kennedy Center and then to wherever we are staying the next week. If you really have to send me something, drop me an email and I'll let you know where to send it. On the other hand, if you'd like ME to send YOU postcards then drop me a line with your address! If I'm coming to a city near you, let me know and I will try to make plans to see you the night before or the morning before we perform.

I hope everyone is doing well. Please pass this on to anyone else who I've forgotten!

Take Care!
Brian
513-470-5991
BFrank29@gmail.com
http://BFrank29.blogspot.com

No comments: